Thursday, January 7, 2010

Western Meal-in-One

I just tried this recipe for the first time tonight. The family liked it and all said that I should make it again. It was not my favorite but I thought I would share it here because it seems that it got a thumbs-up at our house. Maybe my kids just eat anything and everything! Well, at least they are eating and not complaining! To make this casserole you need to brown 2 pounds ground beef with 1 chopped onion and 1/2 to one chopped green pepper. Cook until meat is browned and onions are transparent. Drain.


In casserole pan, combine meat, 2 teaspoons salt, 2 teaspoons chili powder, 1 can kidney beans (drained), 5 cups chopped tomatoes with juice (I used 2 pints of canned tomatoes) and 1-1/2 cups uncooked rice. Sprinkle with garlic salt. It will be juicy but the rice will soak up the liquid. Cover with tinfoil and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Check to see that rice is soft.


Sprinkle with grated cheddar cheese and sliced black olives. I left one part plain at the request of some littles..:) Put back into oven (uncovered) and bake about 15 minutes or until cheese is melted.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...